"Three On A Theme" Competition
This page describes the "Three On A Theme" competition which may be run during the year. The competition has print and digital sections. For the print section, three mounted prints form one entry. For the digital section, three images must be placed on a single 1920x1080 jpg file. There is no set theme. An entry could, for example, tell a story or describe an event or location. Full details of entry requirements for print and digital sections are given below.
- An entry must consist of three prints, all being the work of a single member.
- The three prints will be viewed together and will be judged on their merits in illustrating a theme.
- Each print must be mounted, i.e. three mounts with one print per mount. Sizing of each mount shall be as for Preparation of Prints for Monthly Competitions (see main Internal Club Competitions page).
- The rear of each print must be labelled with:
- The name of the theme chosen by the member.
- The member's three-digit club competition code.
- Number "1", "2" or "3" to indicate in which order the prints should be displayed. When viewed from the front, number 1 should be on the left, 2 in the centre and 3 on the right, as in the example below.
- Each member may submit up to two print entries (i.e. two sets of three mounted prints).
- An entry must consist of a single jpg file containing three images, all being the work of a single member.
- The three images will be judged on their merits in illustrating a theme.
- The jpg file should be 1920x1080 pixels.
- The images may be arranged in any way within the 1920x1080 area and any background, keylines or borders may be used. Two examples are given below.
- The file should be named with the theme title and the member's three-digit club competition code e.g.
dogs on a lead 999.jpg
- Each member may submit one digital entry.
If you are unsure how to go about creating a jpg file with multiple images in Photoshop, try downloading the psd files for the above two examples to see how they are done:
dogs_on_a_lead_1.psd (7Mb, black background version)
dogs_on_a_lead_2.psd (9Mb, white background version)
The white background version has been created using these steps:
- Create new file in Photoshop with size 1920x1080.
- Fill the base layer with white.
- Drag in the three images (they will create three separate layers).
- Select each image layer in turn and re-size / position the image (horizontal guides have been defined at 25%, 50% and 75% of the image height to help with the alignment).
- Define a stroke on each image layer to create the three black borders.
- Save the file as a psd file (in case you want to change it later).
- Use "save as" and select the jpg format to save a jpg version.
There are usually multiple ways to do things in Photoshop. This detailed tutorial results in a panel of 3 equally sized images:
Examples - the 2013 digital entries
As further examples, here are the digital entries from the 2013 Three On A Theme competition.